Sunday, May 29, 2005

Hawaiian Culture Series, Part II: Going Postal

The suburban area that I live in now is quiet. It is full of Haoles (that's a beautiful Hawaiian word for what we in Oakland used to call "honky crackers"). Nothing very exciting happens here besides the odd bake sale.

But there's one thing: mailboxes. They have more personality than some of the people I've met.

Some of them are lovingly hand painted:
Hand PaintedHandpaintedHandpainted
Or glued-on with shells and fake geckos:
Geckos
Some have their own flowerpot attatched:
Flowerbox
While others are mysteriously growing out of a flowerpot:
Flowerpot
Some have their own garden:
Garden
But they are totally put to shame by the one with its own picket fence:I have my own picket fence.

Some of them try to hide or blend in with the scenery. I don't know if this is a matter of trying to stealthily trick the mailcarrier or if they are just shy.
"Nothing to see here, I'm just a bush..."
You can't see me! I'm hiding in a bush!Marijuana Bush
"I'm hiding in a tree!"
Tree Mail
"I'm just a lobster trap on a stick."
Lobster Trap

Or, there is the classic nonchalantly-sitting-on-top-of-a-bush style:DSC01370

At the opposite end of the spectrum, there's the overinflated-mailbox-ego.

"I'm a Swiss Chalet!"
Swiss Chalet
"I'm a pile of volcanic rocks."
Rocks
"I'm a tiny house."
Not really sure what's going on here.
"That's nothing, I'm a tiny house with kittens, sprouting out of a faux well!"
Sprouting out of a well.
"I'm an island hut within a bush!"
Disguise

You also have the Georgia O'Keefe mailbox:
Georgia O'Keefe

And the surrealist patriotic-dolphin-jumping-into-bush mailbox:
I'm a dolphin leaping into a bush!

Taking the lead in the suprising category of Sexy Mailboxes: two sexy mailboxes on a stick.
Hula Girls on a stick
Hula GirlsHula Girls
Which clearly wins the category (even though the girls don't have faces) because it was the only sexy mailbox, possibly in the world.

And then, here's the topper:
Anchors Away!
Yes, that's a real anchor. A Giant Anchor. If anyone can tell me what a mailbox has to do with an anchor I'd be grateful.

Keep in mind these are all within a two-block radius of my house. I'm far too lazy to go looking for this kind of thing. It's kind of making me feel insecure about the inadequacy of our own humble mailbox.
Barn
Maybe I'm supposed to glue tiny farm animals and beensy hay bales to the side or something.

6 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good lord. it's like life in a 1950's hawaiian sitcom.

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy crap! while I was reading about all these I was like..."Wow Iomi must be really hard up for things to do in Hawaii if she's seeking these out!! What a massive collection - she must have had to drive around every cul-de-sac ever to find these gems!!" But holy crap all on one street- kinda like what someone said at the hovel... "Its like watching fireworks and having sex while riding on a motorcycle and shooting the 50 caliber all at the same time!" Well not really, but they are some nutso mailboxes.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn woman! Those are crazy- I like the picket fence one myself- my mom has something like it, but it is partly surrounded by peppermint that the mail carrier may take if he/she is so inclined.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger xine said...

awesome, love it! it makes me look at my own neighborhood like: what is OUR fancy mailbox equivalent

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that big fuck-off anchor! RAD!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The correct spelling is haole (pakeha if you're in NZ) :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home