Thursday, June 09, 2005

No sleep 'till Bellows

I have problems sleeping in Hawai'i. A lot of people seem to, some say they don't sleep through the night for their first full year. Some blame the humidity, some blame the spirits. Either way, I have been waking up at three in the morning and passing out on the floor in the middle of the day.

Yesterday I fell asleep around 6 PM with the phone in my hand, and then I woke up at midnight ready to start my day. The smell of night blooming flowers is sometimes so beautiful and heavy it's hard to go back to sleep. By three I was a little stir crazy, so I burned a CD and hit the road. I filled up the pickup and went off to see what I could see.

There's not much to see. Even 7-11 was closed. When did they start buying doors that lock? Very unfair. I kept driving and then quickly realized that anywhere I went was going to lead back to the same place. Taking a road trip on a small island is pretty unsatisfying. So I did some laps for a couple of hours. I pulled over around 5:30 for some coffee (luckily there was a gas station open) and then realized the sun would be up soon. So I high tailed it back to the other side of the island to watch the sunrise on Bellows beach.

It was awesome.

The beginning of the sunrise

Bit by bit, it got lighter.

Sunrise

The clouds got a silver lining.
Sunrise

Suddenly, the sun was up.
Sunrise

You can see the whole thing in excruciatingly slow detail if you click on a photo and click through to the rest.

I saw some flowers blooming toward the new sun:
Morning Flowers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home